Transferring goods from one place to another can become a daunting task if the correct mode of transportation is not chosen. Some goods are feasible to be transported through rail, but what can be done if the rail track does not exist from where goods need to be loaded? Here come for your ease, intermodal, and transloading. These modes allow freight shippers to transport smoothly and enjoy the usefulness of rail between truck and train and back again. They mostly have the same characteristic except for a few exceptions.
Determining the right mode can be a tough job. Therefore it's crucial to understand and have a complete know-how of different types of mode options and their pros and cons.
Selecting between intermodal and transloading is the most familiar situation faced. Well, it depends on the shipment requirement. AQS services are one of the most reputable providers of railcar transloading in Rockford.
Intermodal Vs Transloading
What is Intermodal?
Intermodal rail transportation uses two or more modes of transportation to transport goods from shippers to the destination such as trucks and rail. This process initially starts from a truck carrying a container to the rail and then back again on the truck to the consignee. According to a study around 25 million containers are carried away using intermodal shipping each year. They usually mean shipments that travel between trucks and trains in containers.
How does an Intermodal work?
- Commodities are first loaded into a container.
- The container is positioned on a truck then.
- The container on the truck is then moved to the intermodal ramp which is often a short distance.
- After the arrival of trucks on the intermodal ramp, the container is shifted on the flat or well car, from where it is traveled by train.
In recent years translating is preferred as a standard method for shipping goods. Transloading has mostly characteristics similar to intermodal except that in intermodel the commodities stay in the container in the entire haul. The container is lifted and transferred but products remain inside it. On the other hand, in translating commodities are moved between conveyances instead of staying in the same container the whole process. It emphasizes transferring between rail and trucking. This tool kit is a choice where complex logistics involved.
For example, a crane may be used where the shifting of heavy material is involved. A forklift car is prepared to transfer palletized goods from a truck to a bigger rail car.
Q) How does translating work?
- Commodities are loaded onto a truck.
- The truck hauls the container to a transload building.
- From the arrival at the transport facility, the loaded commodities are then switched to a rail car.
- How and what types of rail are used to transport depend on the product type. For example, product type determines whether Typuboxcarne or forklift is used to shift on a tank car, flat car, or boxcar.
- It is also possible to switch products back to trucks at the point of ultimate delivery.
- Key differentiator: from truck products are unloaded and switched to train and back again.
Well, the kind of mode used depends on the type of mode and requirement of the shipment. Each mode has its benefits and disadvantages. For the best services for transferring and dry rail car transloading, you can contact AQS services which you can get quality service at affordable prices. 630-789-3345Railcar Transloading Rockford